Pests and a Threshold

So I got an amazing deal on a storm door, and then we had to rebuild the entire house from scratch to install it. Okay, not really.

We had this fancy molding around the front door.

molding

Well, it may not look all that fancy there, but pretend the color isn’t country blue (which is gaining popularity again, my sources tell me) and that it doesn’t clash with the brick color (a couple pictures below).

Anyway, we didn’t have regular ol’ exterior door casing. We had this molding (which I love), but it had to be squared off in order to attach the storm door frame. It wouldn’t work with this uneven trim.

bump molding

Plan A was to cut a small amount of the trim back with the rotozip, leaving a squared off edge to which the storm door frame could attach.

rotozip

But it was just burning the wood. I don’t know if we need a new bit or what. It took forever just to do a small spot and it smelled like a forest fire. I’m pretty sure it would have burned up the motor or caught the door on fire to continue.

Plan B was the circular saw, but it was too wide to fit flat against the molding because of how it arched up. (I don’t how to explain that well.)

We hoped to be able to trim the molding in place, but that wasn’t going to happen. Argh.

Some birds had to lose their vacation home. It was only a matter of time anyway.

bird nest

The hubs pried off all the molding. He never once suggested not installing the storm door. Nuh-uh. No way. It was happening even if we had to re-do the entire entryway.

pry trim

Of course we started this kind of late in the evening (after having done lots of yard work), and then we had a few busy evenings in a row. So it sat like this for several days.

no molding

And my porch was looking quite questionable, with lumber strewn about, nails exposed, and wires hanging out. Classy.

molding pile

exposed nails doorbell

We had pulled the threshold off when we installed the new door. The old one was brass.

threshold

I had decided to spray it with ORB (oil-rubbed bronze) spray paint just to update it a bit.

orb

But then we ultimately ended up having to get a new one anyway. The new door is about an eighth of an inch taller than the old one, which doesn’t seem like much, but it wouldn’t close over the old threshold.

That’s just as well; we really needed a wider threshold anyway since we were installing a storm door. It cost just under twenty dollars, so not a big deal.

The old threshold had a 2×4 under it, to raise it up to the correct height. I’m guessing they did this when they laid the wood floors (which aren’t original to the house).

2x4

The new threshold that we bought was taller than the previous one (as well as wider), so the hubs pried up the 2×4.

pry up 2x4

We used much thinner shims and attached the threshold to the concrete with construction adhesive, tearing up my new white paint job in the process. Meh. It was to be expected. It’s just paint. Easy fix.

hammer in scratched paint

Can you see in the picture below where we sanded away the adhesive from the old threshold? See how the wood is a bit lighter at the edge? I need to seal that.

new threshold

I used black caulk where the threshold was black, and gray where it was metal. I don’t want anymore spiders or snakes or bugs to get in here than already are. Eeek!

black caulk gray caulk

Apparently when you start cutting down trees and vines and bushes that have been neglected for years, you disrupt the homes of many creatures.

snake

The hubs killed this snake, but maybe we should have left it because I found mouse droppings the next day. Ewww! One more not-fun thing to add to the to-do list. Ugh!

So yeah. All efforts have shifted to pest control and the storm door is STILL not hung. Hopefully we’ll have a new storm door (and dead mice) soon.

mouse traps