♪♫Oops! I Did It Again♫♪

Just kidding. Haha. Wouldn’t that be horrible? We didn’t do it again, but that song kept running through my head the entire time the hubs was working on that part.

Last we left off with the master bathroom, it was looking like this…

blank canvas

(That’s taken from the bathtub corner.)

After demo was complete, we had to repair and prep the walls. Alternatively, we could have gone all the way to the studs and hung new drywall, but there was no point in that. It was less work (and money) to repair the existing walls than to start fresh.

All of the old medicine cabinet shelves and the entire perimeter of the trifecta frame had been caulked upon installation three decades ago, so I easily scraped off all the old caulk.

scrape caulk

I patched the cracks and any holes that resulted from tearing out the old vanities.

joint compound

hand texture

patch walls

The areas behind the toilet and the right vanity where there was mold will get new drywall, but that hasn’t been done yet. I can’t cut paper in a  straight line, forget about drywall. Good grief. I’m not allowed to do some things. 🙂 The hubs will get to that after he finishes the tub frame, which he started on while I was prepping walls.

build frame

I mentioned that we needed to build out the wall a tiny bit to fit the tub how I preferred. The hubs used 1×4 (nailed to the studs and not the drain pipe) to act as a shim so the new drywall would sit at the correct position.

stud over pipe frame

He cut and hung the drywall and then moved back to the actual tub frame while I prepped the drywall.

hang drywall

built out wall

I used a vinyl drywall corner, which was big enough to cover the drywall edge and the “shim.” That was a happy surprise. I thought I might also have to use some mesh tape, but I didn’t. Hooray.

vinyl corner

I had to build that up in layers, as illustrated when we built the classroom.

mudded corner

Then I hand textured the new drywall.

first layer texture

This room originally had wallpaper, but someone textured the walls at some point. Thankfully, they used an easy-to-replicate method, so I didn’t lose my mind trying to match it.

Once this mud/joint compound was all dry, I applied a bit more in some areas to match the thickness on the existing walls.

second layer texture

I mudded the joints.

joints

Oh, I should mention that this drywall is green because it’s the mold and moisture resistant kind that is best for bathrooms. Not to be confused with the lime green paint on the other walls.

Meanwhile, the hubs was following the handy little template provided by the kind people at Jacuzzi.

jacuzzi template

This is where that high school math comes in handy, people. I’m dumbfounded every time I hear someone say they don’t use Geometry or Algebra. 🙂

A jigsaw also came in handy here for the cuts that are a bit specific to our house, but the template itself was straightforward and user friendly (if you have a basic understanding of high school math and intermediate carpentry skills, I guess).

jigsaw jigged

Always make sure everything is square and level, of course.

square level

And if you’re installing a whirlpool/jetted tub, you definitely want to leave room to access the motor and heater. It would be quite a pain to tear out everything if your motor quits working a year from now.

access panel

Once the hubs hangs the drywall behind the vanity and toilet, I’ll prime the walls and then we’ll have a little bit prettier “blank canvas.” I should be ready to show you that next week. And then it will be time for pretty stuff…like floor tile! Stay with me, it’ll get fun again.

Happy Independence Day, y’all!

Tell me what you think