Valentine’s Day seems like a great time for a post about arrows. What’s the deal with Cupid, anyway? Weird!

I hope you’re all feeling loved on this, AND EVERY, day! But anyway…

Arrows are having a moment. I don’t know why. Does anyone ever know why these things cycle through? No. They just do. And right now it’s the arrow’s turn in the spotlight. I’ve been seeing all kinds of adorable arrow artwork/projects on Pinterest in the last few months and figured I might as well jump on board. Because I’m a slave to trends. No, I’m really not. Okay, maybe sometimes. But this particular trend “spoke to me” (<—– so cheesy) on a deeper level.

Psalm 127:4 tells us that children are like arrows in the hands of a warrior. I love my little arrows. They are…I don’t even have words. They are the most amazing gifts. I thought a little arrow art would be a reference to them. Someday when they’re grown, I’ll see this project in my attic and remember the days when I was a warrior right in the thick of battle. Oh what sweet days they are!

Enough cheese. I mean, really. Isn’t today cheesy enough already?

This cost less than $3. I used three dowel rods that were about 50¢ each, and a small section of rope by-the-foot that was 98¢. I also used some wood blocks from the scrap pile under my husband’s table saw and I cut a few rectangles out of a partial sheet of plywood we had.

wood blocks and dowels plywood rope

I cut my blocks into triangles and used a drill bit the size of my dowel rods to make a hole in the side.

drill bit drill holes

I squirted some wood glue down in the holes and shoved the dowels in there. While that was drying, I sketched out my “feathers” on the plywood rectangles.

scetch feathers

I cut away the sections where the pencil marks were and was left with something that kinda resembled what wooden feathers must look like.

wood feathers

I sanded those a bit and then glued them to the other ends of the dowels.

glue feathers

I let them set up for a while and then I glued all of the arrows together in the center and sprayed them with a gold-ish bronze paint. When everything was dry, I wrapped my rope around the center a couple of times and tied it off in the back.

rope arrows (2)

Then I hung the whole thing over this chair that I recovered.

chair after arrow chair

It used to look like this.

chair before

I got it at Goodwill several months ago for $4. Upholstered stuff kinda freaks me out sometimes. I mean, I just have no idea what people and their pets and children may have done on there, but this was such a small amount that it didn’t scare me off. It wasn’t smelly and it didn’t have questionable spots or anything, but it was dingy and showing its age. I really loved the shape and the wood was in excellent condition.

Back when we bought our sofa covers from IKEA, we bought an extra cushion cover from the as-is bin to throw in the washing machine to see if we could get away with machine washing or if we really did need to dry clean like the label suggested. I cut that to size to cover the seat.

seat 1 seat 2 seat 3

Seat cushions are always the easy part. The backrest is a bit more daunting, but I own a staple gun with a narrow head so I wasn’t afraid. This hasn’t always been the case, but this is maybe my trillionth chair recovering in the last decade so I’ve learned a few things. And been able to purchase the right tools, which is key.

nail gun

I used a narrow staple to get up into the existing crack, and I didn’t bother to remove the old upholstery.

narrow staples

seam chair back

Then I stretched the fabric over and around the backrest and folded the edge under.


If you get the staple gun right up into that area, the staple practically disappears. Unfortunately, I have never been able to do this with my manual staple gun which has a fatter tip.

I REALLY love the air compressor and the attachments that we have. Seriously the best Valentine’s day gift we’ve ever purchased. Just kidding. As if I’d get tools for Valentine’s. Or maybe I would….


Tell me what you think