Alright, so I showed you the start of my brick wall trial board the other day. Measuring, taping off, and smearing joint compound around were the easy parts. Next, I needed to try and match the existing brick in my kitchen. Eek.
Not gonna lie; I was not sure I could pull this off. Faux painting is not really my thing. I stared at my brick and determined what seemed to be the main color.
It seemed to be kind of the rusty, orange-y, terracotta color. Curiously, that’s my least favorite color for a brick house. I had to go outside and see if this was the same brick used on my exterior. It is. Hmmm. I don’t hate it. I guess I hate more of the 70’s solid-ish orange brick. Who knows?
Anyway, I went to Lowe’s and got some rusty paint chips. I brought them home and chose one that seemed to be the most frequently occurring color in my brick. I figured I’d start with that as my base and add whites, grays, tans, reds, and blacks to mimic my brick.
There were times that I thought this might be the worst idea I’ve ever had. And then I remembered some of my ex-boyfriends and previous haircuts. (Also ex-boyfriends’ previous haircuts, but that’s not related.) Nope. Definitely not my worst idea ever.
I pushed through and kept sponging and dabbing and wiping and blending. Eventually it was looking a little bit like bricks. Painting the “mortar” helped to make it look more like my existing brick tower, but it was still too perfect. The edges were too perfectly straight.
Also, as I mentioned in the last post, my tape was too wide. I couldn’t find the right size locally. (Lowe’s, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, and O’Reilly all have .7″ as their smallest stocked size.) I could have used washi tape (it’s like four hundredths off from what I needed), but it would get expensive fast. Paint stores have horrible hours for my life, so I didn’t even bother checking any of those. I checked Amazon and found every size imaginable for way cheap. Of course.
I decided to try using my finger to get less of a perfect line. (That’s our “dirty level.” It’s for messy jobs.)
It was a ridiculous mess, so I switched to using the handle of a paint brush. I’m not sure I could do this by myself up on a wall while holding the level straight and getting the spacing correct, but I did manage okay on my test board.
I could tell even before it dried or had any color that the mortar lines and brick edges looked more “real.” I decided I’d wait a couple days for my narrower tape to arrive and I’d try a combo of taping off and immediately removing it and smudging the edges with my fingers. Stay tuned.